IMPACCT Brooklyn has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “IMPACCT HOUSING” in the subject line of your emailed application.
IMPACCT Brooklyn is one of Brooklyn’s premier nonprofit community development corporations providing services borough-wide. The organization works hand-in-hand with low- and moderate-income community members and stakeholders to preserve and develop affordable housing, promote commercial revitalization to strengthen local businesses, create homeownership opportunities, protect tenant rights, combat predatory lending practices and prevent home-loss. Founded as Pratt Area Community Council, Inc. nearly 60 years ago, IMPACCT Brooklyn now serves as a catalyst for neighborhood stabilization and revitalization with a focus on Central Brooklyn and has brought people together to build an equitable, diverse, engaged, and flourishing community.
IMPACCT Brooklyn’s Housing Development Department works to create and rehabilitate affordable and supportive housing. Since the early 1980’s IMPACCT Brooklyn has developed more than 1000 units of affordable and supportive housing. IMPACCT Brooklyn works with third property managers for the leasing, monitoring and care of its properties. The organization has a vision of being the best not for profit affordable and supportive housing owner in Brooklyn.
IMPACCT Brooklyn has a robust and active pipeline to develop additional units of housing in the community, having recently won low-income housing tax credit awards and RFPs with the City and State of New York. With the recent departure of the person overseeing this work, IMPACCT Brooklyn is seeking to identify a new Director of Housing Development to lead its growing pipeline of community development projects.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Housing Development is responsible for overseeing all phases of real estate housing development from project inception through construction and occupancy. The Director of Housing Development will necessarily be a recognized member of the affordable housing community who can work closely with both internal and external constituents. They will most likely have substantial experience in the nonprofit affordable housing, government, asset management, real estate and/or microfinance and housing finance arenas and must demonstrate significant accomplishments and past successes. In addition, they must be a hands-on manager, a strategic thinker and planner, a problem solver and be able to respond to crises and changing conditions quickly and effectively.
The successful candidate must be able to work closely with the Executive Director and other members of the senior management team and be able to integrate smoothly into the senior management at IMPACCT Brooklyn, fitting into the organization’s collaborative and inclusive culture. They must be passionate about the organization’s work and be able to work with the Board and staff in a collegial, supportive and direct manner in a spirit of mutual trust and with a minimum of ego.
The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, have an ability to listen, and be inclusive of ideas. In addition, they will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Identify potential affordable housing sites through brokers, government agencies and local and citywide politicians; respond to RFQs and RFPs for sites issued by government agencies.
- Coordination of community housing development initiatives, from initial planning through construction completion; that includes vacant and occupied building rehabilitation, new construction, multi-family rental, supportive, commercial and community facility projects.
- Lead in the analysis of potential development sites: land-use, site capacity, target population, program elements, and financial feasibility.
- Supervision of real estate staff to implement development projects;
- Coordination of development team: consultants, architects, contractors, etc.
- Coordination of project financing: Feasibility, securing commitments, bringing to a construction and permanent closing.
- Assist in determination and analysis of community needs in terms of housing and quality of life issues; assist in formulation of policies and initiatives to meet these needs.
- Lead in preparation of proposals for housing and community development projects.
- Work closely with and coordinate activity with the Marketing and Leasing Department.
- Coordinate the transition of buildings from development to asset and property management at the predevelopment and completion of construction.
- Member of IMPACCT Brooklyn’s Leadership Team.
- Assist Executive Director and serves as staff to the IMPACCT Brooklyn’s Housing and Real Estate Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree in related field a plus
- Five or more years of work experience in housing development or related area (urban planning, architecture, construction, finance)
- Familiarity with housing programs & policies at City, State & Federal levels
- 2+ years supervisory experience
- Experience with project and program coordination: clients, consultants and collaborators.
- Experience with loan underwriting, project feasibility analysis and urban design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, computer expertise, ability to work on several projects simultaneously and independently.
- Knowledge of minority and low income, NYC and major issues: Housing, community development, local planning.
For more information about IMPACCT Brooklyn, please visit their website at www.impacctbrooklyn.org
- COVID-19: All employees must show proof of vaccination for the COVID-19 virus, including booster shots.
- The work is on-site.
- Anticipated salary is up to $150,000 per year, plus benefits.
All positions at IMPACCT Brooklyn are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.